HERE Traffic enables applications to get drivers to their destinations faster and more efficiently by providing them with data in the exact place they need it: while they’re on the road. HERE’s GIS traffic data is designed to be highly accurate and display simply so your customers, drivers or you can understand and adjust to directions as needed, without a lot of distraction or extraneous information.
HERE Traffic delivers continuously updated information about traffic conditions through dynamic content feeds with multiple sources of information for each element, allowing it provide the best possible accuracy for an event, weather, construction or other concern.
Traffic data is aggregated and analyzed from a sophisticated mix of sources to accurately reflect real-world road conditions. Sources include: probe data, fixed sensors, government sources, billions of historical traffic records and partner APIs, with verification done automatically in most cases and sometimes through direct individual traffic specialists.
Hard traffic data is then delivered to drivers once it’s validated, approved and properly contextualized within existing GIS traffic data.
HERE Road Traffic API Uses
Individual businesses and governments often create custom solutions that rely on HERE traffic count data to optimize routes and help pre-stage responses to events. With an API that integrates well with Esri traffic count map systems, HERE provides the hard traffic data your solutions need to maintain high levels of accuracy and usefulness.
While there are many individualized uses for HERE Traffic data, most systems fall into one of three categories:
- Fleet Management — Know where your fleet is and when drivers should arrive at their destinations, based on real-time data and historical traffic analysis. Traffic count data can also help with fleet utilization and optimization when you integrate HERE Maps data that supports routing by showing restrictions for trucks, materials and more.
- Traffic Management — Governments can understand the impact on their infrastructure for proper traffic planning, urban development, crisis response and more by knowing which areas will be congested when and what locations or roadways need alternatives.
- Routing Applications — Help drivers get where they need to be safely and quickly with HERE’s real-time GIS traffic data that integrates with Esri traffic count maps. Leverage its billions of GPS data points, collected and analyzed daily, to get a reliable route that’s updated and adjusted based on current traffic conditions like construction, closures and reported accidents.
HERE Traffic Count Data Features
The HERE platform collects information from a wide range of road sensors, PNDs, vehicle sensors, smartphones and other automated sources, with the traffic engine updating information and route planning every 60 seconds. All of this data ensures HERE Traffic will capture most major traffic events. Key time-saving, headache-reducing elements include:
- Traffic flow conditions with historical and current traffic count data validation
- Planned incidents such as road construction and road closures
- Unplanned incidents such as accidents, stalled vehicles and unplanned road closures
HERE Traffic is provided in proprietary formats based on industry standards Alert-C, RDS-TMC, TPEG and XML, while its custom GIS traffic data API is able to provide information in PNG, JSON, TPEG and XML formats.
Coverage in different formats depends on location, because of country and industry standards as well as local restrictions. Here is an overview of the formats and support based on location, but we suggest you contact us for a detailed review of options for the areas you want to use our hard traffic data and road traffic API:
- XML — Available for five countries in the Americas, 23 countries in EMEA and five countries in APAC.
- RDS — Available for three countries in the Americas and four countries in EMEA.
- HD Radio — Available for the United States.
- DAB — Available for Germany.
For more information on how we can help solve your business needs, reach out to a HERE Traffic Specialist at 844.440.1630 or use our Contact form.