Every traffic-related delay costs your company money or could put your citizens in danger when it slows the delivery of emergency services. Plus, sitting in traffic makes drivers and other staff more frustrated, aggressive and stressed, which can have a negative impact on your operational efficiency.
HERE Traffic Patterns is a database with traffic message channel data that aims to reduce and resolve delays, helping your team get to their destination in the fastest, safest and most cost-effective manner. Its traffic pattern data reviews the average speed values for the typical day and provides complete projections on drive times based on billions of data points gathered from multiple-year vehicle speed observations, including GPS probe data records.
Coverage Benefits of HERE Traffic Patterns
While Full-Coverage Traffic Patterns permits improvement in all markets, it is particularly beneficial in countries and cities with little or no TMC coverage, thanks to its support and inclusion of a variety of alternative data sets and relational consolidation with Link IDs.
Countries and cities with little or no TMC coverage are missing valuable traffic information on non-TMC-coded roads, so by looking outside of that data, we can still provide detailed analysis. For example, Full-Coverage Traffic Patterns enables traffic information through a city center, whereas TMC-coded Traffic Patterns would assume free-flow conditions in this area.
This methodology provides more granular information for each road segment (“link”), ensuring that Full-Coverage Traffic Patterns provides routes that are less stop-and-go and, therefore, less stressful.
HERE Traffic Patterns is a tabular file and does not include geometry. It must be used in conjunction with HERE Map Content Premium for routing and mapping purposes.
Key HERE Traffic Patterns Features
HERE TMC maps data can deliver a wide range of data and features to allow your operations to generate large-scale reviews and granular per-trip insight and focus on time efficiency as you review recent shipments. Generating traffic-aware estimates and routing via TMC data is designed to save your company on every trip.
- Some important aspects of the HERE Traffic Patterns data and TMC maps include:
- Offers traffic-aware routing for every day of the week, optimized for trips starting in 15-minute or 60-minute increments.
- Currently available in two variations, geo-referenced to the following features: Traffic Message Channel (TMC) location codes and Link IDs.
- Referenced to local time so your dispatch and drivers can avoid for long-haul shipments.
- Additional support with information provided as a set of look-aside tables in .CSV format.
- Available in Esri Shapefile, MapInfo TAB and Oracle ODF file formats.
- Support is available for information deliver as a PNG traffic tile API through the HERE Platform, supporting more in-cab systems and dispatch functionalities.
Data characteristics include:
- Relational .CSV format for 15-minute data intervals for every day of the week.
- A holiday appendix is made available, providing guidance for those unusual traffic days and spikes, helping you avoid congestion when even the alternative route to the airport gets clogged.
- Speed values in both KMPH and MPH, drilling down to 1 KMPH/MPH increments for map data.
Coverage is available for eight countries in the Americas, seven countries in APAC and 62 countries in the EMEA.
HERE TMC for Every Type of Road
HERE Traffic Patterns continually monitors data across all road and access types in more than 80 countries, with an eye for alternative route suggestions and precise logistics or navigational product displays with total drive time estimates.
HERE Traffic Patterns is currently used by a wide range of commercial, enterprise and white label logistics support tools that rely on it for TMC maps and data. Current uses include:
- Determination of accurate travel times based on realistic, historical traffic speeds, allowing your dispatch and navigational systems to improve trip time estimates based on likely traffic conditions.
- Avoiding roads at times when they are typically congested, thereby producing more accurate route planning throughout the day, with the ability to adjust and suggest alternatives when integrated with real-time traffic data modules.
- Efficient route optimization for standard shipping lanes as well for shipments that move across modes.
- In-vehicle LBS navigation and Mobile Asset Management applications to assist with standard and non-standard vehicle movements that would benefit from traffic patterns data.
Understanding TMC Data and HERE Link IDs
HERE Traffic Patterns provides link-based coverage on all roads in its maps — not just on roads that are TMC-coded. This is done through the use of multiple information sources and the ability to georeference data to Link IDs.
Link-based coverage allows for the detection of traffic conditions that might be aggregated in the TMC-based coverage model. Hence: greater coverage allows for better routes and more accurate travel times by providing you with the best understanding of the information.
You can learn more about HERE Traffic Data, Map Content integration and how to find the right solution for your business needs by contacting our experts at 844.440.1630 or by sending us a note on our Contact page.