Here Speed Limit Data
HERE Speed Limits provides speed limit data for road segments, noting standard changes as well as adjustments that need to be made due to real-time circumstances such as construction zones. Maximum vehicle speeds are provided for relevant vehicles, allowing your fleet speed tracking system to know, track and properly plan for speed limit differences for vans versus rigs, for example.
HERE Speed Limit data enables applications to advise users against violation of traffic restrictions and warn users about maximum speed on a road. Inclusion in your GPS fleet speed tracking system can help improve arrival time estimations and allow for more choices in route selection.
HERE Speed Limit Data Uses and Features
Speed limit data is easy to include in a wide range of services and applications to protect your fleet, improve your infrastructure or deliver relevant information to your customer. Here are some of the ways we see it applied to these three main uses:
- Fleet Management — Improve the safety and reliability of your fleet with speed-limit safety alerts as part of both navigation and your fleet speed tracking system that accurately scores driver behavior. Learn the habits of your drivers and promote safety through recognition or awareness of violations. Speed is a general safety factor for the whole trip — not just when caught and ticketed for the violation.
- Traffic Management — Understand your local environment and the impact traffic can have, from decreased productivity and increased fuel consumption to higher levels of pollution and risky areas that promote unsafe driving behaviors. Speed limit data can help you shift traffic patterns, learn where to adjust existing limits to reduce risky behaviors and guide your local municipality in changes from speed hump installation and traffic cameras to where law enforcement may need a greater presence on the road.
- Routing Applications — Don’t let your drivers or customers waste time and money by sitting in traffic or by taking routes that are considerably slower due to speed limitations. Whether you’re working on a commercial solution or a GPS fleet speed tracking system, planning a route means knowing every limit a vehicle can encounter from turns, red lights and traffic to robust speed limit data. We’ve all experienced streets and roadways where speed limits change and bottlenecks either form or disperse as a result.
The core data features for this addition to HERE Traffic include all of the relevant speed limit data that you’ll need to make proper routing information. You can restrict what is used and accessed by your vehicle speed tracking system, including:
- Legal speed limit values for vehicle travel
- Sorting options for vehicle categories, such as those with trailers or other configurations
- Separate storage of truck speed limits
- Verification of speed limit information with road restrictions, so hazardous materials or other overriding limitations are displayed
Data is available in Esri Shapefile and MapInfo TAB file formats and current coverage is available in 55 countries.
To see how HERE Speed Limits can be applied to your commercial vehicle speed tracking system or an internal GPS fleet system, reach out to your Navmart expert by calling us at 844.440.1630 or ask your questions and request a free trial through our contact page.
To learn more about commercial and fleet support from the HERE, try these helpful pages: