HERE Postal Code Points (formerly known as HERE ZIP+4 Centroids) use area code data and postal code data to help drivers find their destinations simply via postal code when targeting a large area, so there is no need to rely on a street address.
However, many users of ZIP code data and postal carrier route maps data are now turning to web-based applications for geomarketing and services as well as broad territory generation and geocoding support.
As the number of online systems that secure demographic information grows, you’re able to marry it to area code data and ZIP code data for detailed analysis, persona development and better boundary-based targeting.
U.S. Postal Code Data
While technically a ZIP+4 is a linear delivery (walking) segment, this postal carrier route map file represents the ZIP+4 as a point. ZIP+4 codes use the basic five-digit ZIP Code plus four additional digits to identify a geographic segment within the five-digit area, such as a city block face, an apartment building, an individual high-volume receiver of mail or any other unit that could use an extra identifier to aid in efficient mail sorting and delivery.
Maps that target such an area need code data that can be limited and adjusted as postal carrier routes, deliveries and service requirements change. If you’re looking at moving your service operations into a new market, you may be inclined to see what ZIP code data is available to match efforts with postal carrier route boundaries for improved targeting and reliability of your marketing and service rollout.
The ZIP+4 Centroids file is based on current data from the US Postal Service, the US Census Bureau and the HERE Map Content database.
Canada Postal Code Data
The last three characters of the Canadian post are known as LDU’s, or local delivery units. Similar to a US ZIP+4, LDUs represent a single address or a range of addresses and are represented spatially as points. LDUs are not included with the FSA file.
Global Area Code Data
Postal Code Points represent the center point of the most current (full) postal code within the highly accurate context of HERE Map Content.
Postal Code Data Uses
Navmart customers who use HERE Postal Code Points are currently using these data sets to provide support for:
- Geocoding applications
- Precise target marketing
- Direct mail management and analysis
- Delivery management and analysis
- Service area design and management
- Sales territory design and management
- Customer profiling and new customer acquisitions
HERE Area Code File Data by Country
The HERE data platforms allow a single coordinate to act as the representative location of all the addresses that share the same unit postcode. This point location is developed and displayed as a Median/Centroid — a calculated midpoint of the spread of addresses along a road — or sits directly beside the road (on the correct side of the road) if the postal code only applies to one side of the street.
The platform aligns with HERE Map Content and provides coverage for nine countries with a few callouts that are worth mentioning. Each region is represented with data from the most relevant agency and verified through multiple channels when possible. Regional area code data and postal carrier route maps are provided with information from:
- United States: Postal code points are sourced from the United States Postal Service’s nine-digit ZIP codes (Zip+4). Available in Esri Shapefile, MapInfo TAB and Oracle ODF file formats.
- Canada: Full six-character postal codes are sourced from Canada Post. Available in Esri Shapefile, MapInfo TAB and Oracle ODF file formats.
- Great Britain: Postal code points are sourced from Ordnance Survey Code Point Open. Available in text look-aside file only in Great Britain.
- United Kingdom: Postal code points are sourced from Royal Mail (PAF), though this data is only available for navigational purposes. UK data is available as LAT and RDF files.
- The Netherlands: Postal code points are sourced from Cendris. Data available in both LAT and RDF file formats.
- Singapore: Six-digit codes, sourced from ORG informatics Ltd., are available in Esri Shapefile, MapInfo TAB and Oracle ODF file formats.
HERE Postal Code Points are updated annually and can be licensed on an annual basis with multi-year contract options available. To learn about these options, data uses and more, contact our Postal Carrier Route Maps Specialists at 844.440.1630 or through our online portal.