Enterprises make critical business decisions based on the geolocation of customers, assets and events, so accurate geolocation and geocoding data is a necessity.
Geocoding turns ordinary tabular records containing address information into geographic objects that can be displayed on a map for drivers, dispatch, managers and anyone in the field who can access your dashboards. Once your records are run through a geocoding service, you can display them on most of today’s standard mapping software or use them in industry-focused, spatially-aware database management systems (DBMS).
Power your business to make smarter decisions through a robust geolocation and geocoding service that aligns your business data with desired outcomes.
Common Geocoding Services
HERE geocoding packages and geocoding GIS services from Navmart are running behind the scenes in many of today’s leading mapping and records management tools. Some of the more common uses for the geocoding data we provide include:
- Address parsing, cleansing and standardization
- Appending a coordinate to your records
- CASS-certifying your records
- Making your data mappable
- Layering real-time weather forecasts or emergency alerts over geographical data and maps.
Geocoding blends art and science to help parse and utilize longitude and latitude values to improve existing tabular records, supporting a wide range of functions. Visualization of your mapping and other data allows you and your team to query, find, analyze and make decisions as needed.
Three Types of Geocoding Functionality
Geocoding provides functionality to search for and geocode addresses, as well as to reverse geocode, where you start with geographic coordinates and convert this to an address. Geocoding GIS software quickly can validate a delivery order, identify the precise location for quick intervention and understand the geographical distribution of a portfolio or track assets.
Here is a brief overview of the three main functions of the HERE geocoding data provided by Navmart:
- Geocoding is how geographical coordinates can be found using a text address even if the address is incomplete or spelled incorrectly. Multiple local results are ranked according to relevance, and multiple languages are supported.
- Reverse Geocoding is the process of taking a set of geographic coordinates (latitude/longitude) obtained from the GPS on the user’s device or via a click on the map, and providing a textual description of the position in return. Reverse geocoding answers the question: “Where am I?”
- Batch Geocoding allows you to upload multiple addresses in a single file for geocoding. A transaction equals the number of geocoding requests made within a batch geocoding request.
HERE Location Platform Geocoder Components
Geocoding services have embraced the cloud to reach a wider range of devices and platforms. If you are considering cloud or SaaS options, the HERE Location Platform is the answer for you. Key features of the platform and its geocoding GIS functionality include:
- The Geocoder string analyzer understands the difference in address formats across countries and the output includes localized address labels. It supports multiple languages and writing scripts. It includes many advanced options, like results scoring and spatial filters, plus the inclusion of additional data within the results — e.g. postal code shapes, cross-streets or admin IDs.
- Geocoder has global coverage for all 196 countries plus additional territories.
- Premium coverage includes house-number-level data in more than 90 countries. In these countries, you get accurate results with continuously updated automotive-grade maps, precision to the door-step with Point Addressing for 270 million addresses in 65 countries and address range-based interpolation and extrapolation anywhere else.
- The Geocoder also includes selected street level coverage for over 40 countries, and selected city level coverage for the remaining countries and territories.
Geocoding Within Your DBMS or Application
Using the HERE API, geocoding engines can be configured for use within GIS applications or be called via other services to make use of this geocoding GIS data in a variety of interesting and industry-specific ways.
For example, it is common to use the HERE .shp format and configure this within the Esri stack to set up a geocoding engine that can then be utilized by both server-based and desktop-based Esri applications. Likewise, within Oracle Spatial, HERE ODF data can be loaded and used within all three Oracle schemes (Map Display, Geocoding and Routing).
Navmart Standalone Geocoding Service
Do you have a small need or aren’t quite ready for the complete geocoding data commitment? Navmart offers geocoding as a one-off service for very small jobs, as well. All you need to do is send us the records and we’ll return them back with the proper geocoding data within a few business days.
Learn more about our custom geocoding service or get started with HERE maps geocoding data by contacting one of our Geocoding Specialists through our contact page or by calling us directly at 844.440.1630.